We get Dr Blossom Kochhar, Founder and Chairperson of the Blossom Kochhar Group of Companies Institutionalised, to talk about holistic beauty and health and a subject that’s close to her heart – education.
- Dr Blossom Kochhar is an industry veteran with over 35 years of experience in holistic beauty. A pioneer in the field of aromatherapy, she has been a stalwart in promoting healthy lifestyle with her indigenous products and is a double doctorate in Aromatherapy. Her name is synonymous with successful brands – Blossom Kochhar Aroma Magic and Blossom Kochhar College of Creative Arts & Design (BKCCAD).
Taking forth her foresight to map the Indian beauty industry on the international platform as a quality benchmark, she introduced a structured and systematic approach to hair, beauty and spa education and established BKCCAD, the umbrella brand for Pivot Point India – A Hair & Beauty Academy, Style Inc- A grooming academy, MUD- Make-up Designory and Blossom Kochhar Aesthetics & Spa Academy, the spa division of BKCCAD.
- What are your plans for 2019 in terms of products, services and innovations?
This year we have launched India’s first aromatherapy based hHair care range that is free of parabens, minerals, sulphates, artificial fragrances and soaps. We have also come up with Chakra oils and curative oils that work on the physical, psychological and spiritual functions of the body and heals you naturally.
- What changes would you like to see in the professional beauty industry?
All over the world people take continuous education and keep updating themselves to be a better professional, but we don’t see that in beauty industry. Also, I would like to see the people in this industry to be more unified and not work in isolation. If we all join our hands together, it will be a shining industry.
- What is your opinion of India’s salon industry? What are the key challenges that it is facing today?
Salon industry is growing and a lot of new names are entering this industry. One of the major change that we have seen is the growing need for home services. And that is one of the major challenges that is hampering the salon industry. People flush in a lot of money to open a salon but these home services provide services at a very low rate, which hampers the business of salons.
- Why is education important for a beauty professional? What is your company doing for education?
Education is important for any profession or field and especially in beauty. In the beauty industry, we are dealing with human body therefore before doing any treatment, it is really important to understand and have thorough knowledge about it.
I have been in education for the last 35 years and have trained many professionals in the beauty field. I also have an academy – Blossom Kochhar College of Creative Arts & Design. Here we have internationally educated trainers and state of the art facility for the students. We also provide international certification at the academy.
- On a personal front, what goals have you set for yourself for 2019?
I want to educate and skill more women to make them financially independent.