Upselling is an aspect of your business that you cannot afford to ignore if you are keen on improving your bottom line. Here’s what you can do to create more upselling opportunities.
Upselling means simply selling an additional product/service to your client to increase their average ticket size. It is something that is most often neglected. However, it is a sure shot way to boost sales revenues for your salon business. Every customer interaction – right from the booking till the billing – has the potential for upselling. The trick is to identify these opportunities and approach them creatively.
In the long run, this will not only strengthen your relationship with the client but will also increase their satisfaction level while maximising your upselling opportunities. Here’re a few salon upselling ideas by Neeti Chopra, Hair & Skin Expert, Unwind Salon & Cafe, Saket, New Delhi.
1. Giving the client all the service options instead of just mentioning one at the time of booking: At the time of appointment booking, when a client asks about any service/treatment, a good strategy would be to give them all options starting with the most premium one and going down to the basic one. This helps in showcasing all the services that are available to the client.
2. Using lounge space and other dead areas of the salon for communication purposes: It is a good move to keep some salon menu/treatments /ongoing offer on tent cards or posters in the waiting lounge. Clients normally browse through magazines/books while waiting for their service. This is a good place to make them aware of on-going schemes and promotional offers.
3. Proper consultation of the client for services to ensure proper analysis of his/her concern: Consultation is the best time to get to know the customer and also understand their concerns. It is a good idea to keep notes of their upcoming holiday/travel plans, what products and treatments they are interested in and budgetary constraints, if any. This will help in planning what product / service to offer the client in the future.
4. If a client has opted for a basic level service, tell them about other options available with their benefits: By promoting a higher value service and making the customer understand its added benefits, you are banking on the ‘spur of the moment’ decision making characteristic of your client. It is, however, advisable to not over-push this tactic.
5. Proper feedback with suggestions of memberships/packages for services availed by clients: Retail product sale is often thought of as not so important. But in reality, it does add a considerable amount on your client’s ticket size. Advising on a good quality retail product purchase after service will not only strengthen the client’s belief in you but also lead to seamless repeat purchase of the product and service.
6. Educating the client about on-going loyalty programs/gift cards/treat cards: The time of payment is another critical time for upselling. For starters, proper feedback must be taken from the client about the service that he/she took. Also, this is the right time to tell the client about memberships and service packages, loyalty programmes/gift cards/treat cards.
7. Interactive engagement on social media with clients by way of running contests, product reviews, service reviews, etc.: Social media in today’s time plays an integral role in increasing client engagement and interaction. It is a must to keep clients engaged by way of product demos, running contests, managing bookings, launching new treatments. This also ensures staying connected with the client even when not working.
8. Educating staff members on the above points and making them feel like a team: It is important to make sure that all your staff members are well trained in all the above-listed points. It is the therapist who is with the client all throughout the service and is totally aware of their needs. Hence, it is paramount that they are well-equipped with all tools and trainings on how and when to effectively upsell to your clients.